ALL THE DETAILS TO RECREATE THIS CAKE SMASH THEME
My sweet little Asher turned 1 just about a week ago and I still cannot believe it. How did that happen so fast? Asher has been a ray of sunshine since he was born, so when deciding on a theme for the day of his birthday and his cake smash ( we did a different theme for his birthday party, you can check that out here), I knew I wanted it to be bright and happy like him. After thinking long and hard, Asher’s First Trip Around The Sun came to mind and it was just perfect. I imagined lots of yellow, which symbolizes joy, happiness and of course associated with the sun.
Below I’ve linked ( almost) everything I used to put together his cake smash, from the decor to the cake. Most of the decor was ordered from Amazon and a few things were purchased from the dollar store. Overall, it’s a pretty simple setup.
- Backdrop– I ordered the 80”W X 60”L. I did have to iron the backdrop to get rid of the creases that were caused from it being folded.
- Balloon Garland– This balloon garland did the job perfectly that it needed to do for the cake smash. Although I do recommend it for creating a small garland, I don’t recommend this if you’re looking to create a longer garland with a lot of yellow. Simply because it just does not come with enough yellow balloons.
- Sun Smiley Face Balloon– This balloon comes in a pack of 5.
- Letter Board– This letter board comes with black letters, so I purchased gold letters separately to keep the colors within the theme. On the letter board “Asher’s First Trip Around The Sun,” is written.
- Gold Letters
- One Cake Topper
- Number 1 Balloon– The number 1 balloon was purchased from Dollar Tree
- White Pom Pom- This was also purchased from Dollar Tree. These are sold in packs of 2. I purchased 2 packs.
Since the cake was going to be smashed, I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on a fancy cake and this little guy was not going to eat much of it anyway. So, I actually just baked a cake. Now, I’m no pastry chef so I just used the box and can stuff , which cost me less than $5 from Walmart.
I used a lemon cake mix and a lemon frosting to create a simple cake that fit in perfectly with the theme. I added about 2 drops of yellow food coloring to the frosting to get the yellow frosting in the picture.
I went for a simple sun printed onesie. The onesie is only $5. I also purchased a little crown with “one” written on it, but Asher refused to wear it. He doesn’t like anything on his head.
Later In The Day
The cake smash was done earlier in the day and then later in the day using the same balloon garland and sun balloons from the cake smash and a few other decorations, I decorated an area so as a family we could cut a cake with the birthday boy. We put a candle, sang happy birthday to him and then we all ate cake!
- High Chair Banner ( The exact banner pictured below is no longer available)
- Happy Birthday Cake Topper
- Number 1 Candle
- Gold Doorway Fringe – I already had this on hand. I purchased this exact one from party city, but it can also be found on Amazon.
I absolutely love how the cake smash turned out. It was exactly as I imagined it to be, bright and happy like my sunshine. There was no better theme to celebrate my little guys first trip around the sun. It’s a simple, yet beautiful setup perfect for celebrating your little sunshine.